Coconut Oil: A hero, not a villain.
It wasn’t long ago that coconut oil was vilified for its high saturated fat content. The public was made to believe this food would cause high cholesterol, clog the arteries and increase body fat.
The exciting and ever changing field of nutrition is now painting a very different picture of coconut oil. Coconut oil is actually a health promoting food! I frequently promote the use of coconut oil in my practice and here are the reasons why…
- Coconut oil is a medium chain triglyceride. It is metabolized very differently than other fats in the body. It is quickly absorbed, provides quick energy and promotes healthy digestion.
- Coconut oil has a very high heat point, meaning it will not change structure in the presence of heat. This is a great anti-aging benefit since we believe the oxidation of fatty acids leads to inflammation and inflammation leads to premature aging.
- Every cell in our body is made of a bi-lipid fatty membrane. In order for those membranes to stay healthy, they need a certain amount of healthy fats, and that includes the medium chain fat from coconut oil.
- Medium chain fatty acids are a key component of mother’s breast milk, a perfect food for growing healthy brain neurons.
- It also works great topically, as a moisturizer and a make-up remover. Just like we have to pay attention to what we put into our bodies, we have to pay attention to what we put on our skin. I cannot think of a safer, more natural way to moisturize the skin than with coconut oil!
By Sherri Jacobs