Being on the heels of another successful 21 Day Metabolic Cleanse, I wanted to share some insight with you.
*We live in a toxic world AND we have to proactive about our health- bottom line- it is up to us to become informed and educated!
* Everyone of us has some level of toxic burden and we all need to be detoxing/cleansing on some level- each and every day!
If you are waiting for the next cleanse to start (I am still thinking about the next date) or you simply want to do everything you can to stay healthy from day to day, here are some basic detox strategies.
1. Drink CLEAN water everyday–at least 1/3 of your body weight in ounces (ie. if you weight 150 lbs, you need about 50 ounces per day.
2. Healthy and regular digestion- at least 1 bowel movement per day. Digestion is THE KEY to good health!
3. Organic whenever possible – the higher up you eat on the food chain- the more important it is to eat organic.
4. Dark green veggies- how many can you get in each day? The brassicaceae family is particularly important for cleansing because they help remove harmful estrogens from the body. Load up on broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale (my personal favorite) and cabbage.
5. Of course (I have to mention it)- stay away from white sugar and flour. Avoid coffee and alcohol. As Pollan says, “A treat is not a treat if you have it everyday!” Sugar, alcohol and coffee, over time, changes the way our body naturally detoxifies.
5. Sweat, sweat, sweat- this is the body’s built- in mechanism for detoxification–use it! Try the infrared sauna or the bio-mat, take a yoga class, a hot bath, an exercise class.
6.Relax- don’t let stress get the best of you. Chronically elevated cortisol changes the way your body reacts to its environment. You have to train your nervous system to handle stress effectively. Exercise, yoga, deep breathing, journaling….what helps you unwind and find your quiet space?
I can think of a hundred more strategies, but that should get you started…Remember, your health is up to you!